Rich in History


Macedonia Baptist Church (MBC) was organized in the year of 1898 by the late Rev. J.H. Herron of San Angelo, Texas.  The charter members were:


 - Bro. Richard Hayes (who was the first deacon)

 - Sis. Winnie Hayes

 - Bro. Jim Slaughter

 - Sis Alice Slaughter


          The name of the church was selected by Sis. Alice Slaughter, Bro. Neil Stafford, Sis. Cellia Stafford, Sis. Mary Dobbins, Sis. Alice Brown, Bro. Square Riggins and Sis. Mary Sutty.


          In 1899 Rev. Herron resigned, and the church called Rev. S.S. Stephens.  The first church lot was purchased under the leadership of Rev. Stephens, where the church stands at present.  Rev. Stephens resigned in the fall of 1902.


          In the year of 1903, Rev. P.R. Square was called as the pastor.  Under his leadership, the first church building was built.  This was a 20X30 building.  In the year of 1904, Rev. Square resigned, and Rev. G.W. Burton was called as pastor.  Under the leadership of this great man, the old building was razed and a new modern church edifice was built. 


The Rev. Burton resigned in 1911 and the church called Rev. J.F. Fears.  Who resigned after three months.  In 1912 the church called Rev. E.J. McClendon, who served for about one and a half years.  In 1913, the church called Rev. A.W. Wynn of Austin, TX, who pastored for about 5 months.  In the latter part of 1913, the church called Rev. G.H. Washington who served as pastor until 1915.  During this time, the church burned.


Rev. P. Hick, a member of the congregation, served as supply Pastor from 1915-1916.  During this time, the church worshipped in a school building until they were able to buy a building belonging to the Presbyterian Church which was rebuilt on the present lot.  In 1916 the church called Rev. G.W. George who served as pastor about a year.


In 1917 the church called Rev. Thornton.  Under his leadership, the church made great strides and much of the church’s debt was paid.  Rev. Thornton resigned in 1920 and the church called Rev. F.O. Brown, who resigned in 1921.  In that same year the church called Rev. T.C. Collins.  During his tenure the first the first serious rift in the church membership occurred.  he resigned and accepted a pastorship at the Mt. Zion Baptist church of Abilene and carried many of the members with him.  Yet, those who were loyal to their church remained to carry the work forward.  During that time, the church was without a pastor, the creditors entered a suit against the church for the balance on the building.  After having paid $1,000 on the building, the building was foreclosed and offered for sale.  Rev. J.H. Herron, the first pastor of the church, returned and took a part of the members and attempted to reorganize the church and buy the building from the members who remained at the regular organization.  The members who stayed with the regular organization united and raised $250.00 which was paid as forfeit money to give them the right to repurchase the building.  The building was then repurchased at a cost of $1,100.  Therefore, the total building cost was $2,350.00.


In 1923, the church called Rev. Currie and under his leadership a second rift occurred, dividing the membership and resulting in the organization of the New Light Baptist Church of Abilene.


In early 1925, Rev. Currie resigned and the church called Rev. L.H. Hawthorn, under whose pastorate much was accomplished.  The remainder of the church indebtedness was paid, the church was repaired and 75 folding chairs were purchased.  Rev. Hawthorn resigned in 1931.  A member of the congregation, Rev. H.D. Cumby, who had just been licensed to preach, carried on as supply Pastor until the church called Rev. G.W. Lilly.  Although Rev. Lilly began his pastorate with the greatest financial struggle and depression known in the history of the United States was at it’s height, much was accomplished.  In 1932, the church parsonage along with all it’s contents (belonging to the Pastor) was burned.  The church then furnished another parsonage as well as purchased a piano and painted the church building.  In 1932, Rev. Lilly placed an annex to the side of the church.  The Brotherhood was organized in the church by Rev. Cumby, who was the President of the District Brotherhood at the time.  Rev. Lilly resigned around the end of 1935 and moved to Mineral Wells, TX.


In the latter part of 1936, Rev. H.D. Cumby was called as Pastor.  He began his first Sunday in January 1937.  Rev. Cumby took the pastorate of the church for a salary of $6.oo per week.  Under his leadership, the church made greatest strides of progress to date.  In 1938, new windows and doors were put in and later a balcony was added.  A new roof was placed on the building and asbestos siding was placed on the outside of the building.  The church purchased a lot at 610 Ash street and later purchased a parsonage and laid sidewalks at that site.  The choir stands were repaired and the church purchased 26 new pews and pulpit furniture.


There is nothing about the church before Rev. Cumby’s leadership that still stands.  Under this fine man, the church was remodeled several times, and finally the old building was torn down and a new edifice was erected in 1951.  While the new building was being built, the church worshipped in a store building on Plum street. In March 1951, the congregation began worshipping in the new building.  In 1955, the building was extended back approximately 16 more feet.  During Rev. Cumby’s leadership, more than 300 members were added to the church, about 200 of them by baptism.  During his tenure, two deacons of the church were called into the ministry, Rev. T.G. Oliphant and Rev. J.L. Johnson.  Both were called to pastor other churches.  Rev. Cumby served as Pastor until 1965, when ill health forced him to retire.


In June 1965, the church called Rev. T.G. Oliphant as pastor.  Under his leadership, the church made great strides.  Early in his tenure, the church purchased a new piano, new robes for both choirs, new carpet for the church and the parsonage, new furniture for the pastor’s study, foam rubber cushions for the church pews, and many other improvements.  The church purchased a new educational wing with three classrooms and two bathrooms as well as two parking lots, a new church van, and extended the choir stand.  The church was also given a lot as a gift.


Improvements were also made to the building.  The upstairs section of the fellowship hall along with the Pastor’s study were remodeled and an area for a library and church nursery were added. 


Under Pastor Oliphant’s tenure the church grew.  Around 500 new members were added, 195 of them by baptism.  Eighteen deacons were ordained along with 5 brother called into the ministry. 


Macedonia began planning for its present edifice in 1986.  Members of the Planning Committee consisted of: Bro. Wilton Turnerhill (chairman), Bro. Robert Cotman, Bro. Clarence Bell, Bro. Charles Anderson, Bro. Buford Eatmon, Bro. James Daniels, Bro. Leroy Edwards, Sis. Leatrice Cunningham, and Sis. Lillie Bell Curtis.  The contracted cost of the edifice was $520,000. 


On July 23, 1989, ground breaking ceremonies were held.  For a period of one year and one week, the congregation met at 1073 Sycamore Street while the church was under construction.  On Sunday, March 25, 1990 the congregation returned home to a newly constructed house of worship.  In July 1996, at the age if 81 and 30 years of service to Macedonia and the Community, Rev. Oliphant retired.  The church is ever grateful to him for the progress of the church and for the souls saved during his leadership, along with his wife Sis. Una B. Oliphant.  On June 21, 1998 the Lord called Rev. Oliphant home.

After Rev. Oliphant’s retirement, and during the search for a new Pastor, Rev. John Knight served as interim Pastor along with the assistance of Rev. Robert Brooks.  The Rev. K.R. White was called as Pastor in January 1997.  During his tenure, the north parking lot was repaved, a lot on the southwest corner of the church was purchased, the house west of the church was purchased, new carpeting was placed in the front entry, a new PA system was installed, and a new church sign was erected.  In March 2000, Pastor White resigned as Pastor.

The ministry continued to move forward under the service of Rev. Gregory Ayres, who served as interim minister, along with the assistance or Rev. John Knight and Rev. Reginald Blakeney.  Under the leadership of Bro. Robert Cotman (Chairman of the Deacon Board), the deacons, and the cooperation of the church family, Macedonia continued to carry on God’s business.  In July 200, the church opened the Apples of Gold Nursery, which later closed and has been converted into a Youth Center.  In addition, the adjacent piece of property was purchased and the church building was paid off.

On November 28, 2000 Rev. Matthew M. Lubin, Sr. was called to Pastor the church and began serving on January 1, 2001.  Several additions in leadership occurred shortly after Rev. Lubin started serving in his position.  Bro. Charles Anderson and Bro. Samuel Bennett were reinstated as Deacons.  Bros. Tom Wall, Tommie Jackson, and Fred Taylor were ordained as Deacons.

During his first year of ministry, the Youth ministry was reorganized, a male chorus was organized, and Children’s Church Services were started -  under the direction of Rev. Donnie Massey.  In addition, Rev. Lubin initiated the “Salt of the Earth” award to recognize those members that go the extra mile as true servants of Christ; outreach services to: the Taylor County Restitution Center, Taylor County Jail; French Robertson State Prison; Stevenson Park (Praise in the Park) once a month in the summer.  The church was also blessed to purchase a 25 passenger minibus.

 We believe that under the direction of the Holy Spirit, God will continue to build on the work He has established at Macedonia Baptist Church.



Print | Sitemap
© Macedonia Baptist Church